Liberal, Irreverent

Monday, January 19, 2009

Social responsibility - just business

http://entrepreneur.virgin.com/2008/12/18/social-responsibility-just-business/

Richard Branson in his book "Business Stripped Bare":

"I don’t think big businesses make good governments. I know governments don’t make great businesses. But somehow we need to close the circle."

As a progressive I guess I have that "genetic predisposition" against big business, but which I have confirmed being correct over the years. Also as an American I have some of the same cynic mistrust against government which it has also been proved correct, especially after 8 years of the Bush administration. Sir Richard Branson has a point in what extremes are always bad. Businesses are not good to function as government and government is not good to function as a business (just see Bush's legacy).

I agree that in some way we need close the circle and find that perfect balance that makes business socially responsible and government efficient without firing half of the federal workforce or eliminating all social programs.

No comments: