Liberal, Irreverent

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Obama: Republicans, "They're very good at negative campaigning. They're not so good at governing."

Oabama:

"In no way do I think that John McCain's campaign was being racist," Obama said. "I think they're cynical. And I think they want to distract people from talking about the real issues."

"In no way do I think that John McCain's campaign was being racist," Obama said. "I think they're cynical. And I think they want to distract people from talking about the real issues."

"What I'm interested in, ultimately, is going to be governing," he said. "What that means is we're going to have to try to get things done."

"None of you thought I was making a racially incendiary remark, or playing the race card," he said. "It wasn't until John McCain's team started pushing it that it ended up being on the front page of The New York Times two days in a row."

"I don't come out of Central Casting when it comes to presidential races for a whole range of reasons," he said. "I'm young, I'm new to the national scene, my name is Barack Obama, I'm African-American, I was born in Hawaii, I spent time in Indonesia, I don't have the typical biography of a presidential candidate."

"You've got statistics that say we've lost another 50,000 jobs, that Florida is in a recession for the first time in a decade and a half and what was being talked about was Paris and Britney,"

"They're clever on creating distractions from the issues that really matter in people's lives," he said. "We've got to make sure we keep focused on people's day-to-day concerns. We don't take the skill of the Republicans in engaging in negative campaigning lightly."

"At some point people are going to have to make decisions. Are we going to keep arguing or are we going to get things done?"

"What I don't want to do is for the best to be the enemy of the good," he said. "And if we can come up with a genuine bipartisan compromise, in which I have to accept some things that I don't like or the Democrats have to accept some things that they don't like in exchange for actually moving us in the direction of actual energy independence, then that's something I'm open to."

No comments: